Saturday, November 17, 2012

Farm Life

It sure is a change having to struggle to find wifi reception with my wireless wifi device here in the middle of no where compared to having it anywhere in the cities and areas I've been traveling in so far. I can't complain, since it is somewhat refreshing not having it, but I think the only thing I'm struggling with is the desire to connect once a day to check emails and/or send emails! Oh the things you take for granted. I would have said I wasn't reliant on Internet, and I have been dealing well without it, but you sure take it for granted when it is everywhere compared to now when it is scarce. Especially when it's your life line to the people you love the most!

The nanny who's spot I am taking over left today. We were all sad to see her go! What a sweet heart she is. I have some big shoes to fill. Now for me, it's really game time. I need to be able to organize my day around the needs of these kids and this family, and I will do it! It does seem overwhelming for the time being, but K. and I had a great chat this morning and I am feeling more comfortable and confident now than I had been feeling about the whole job undertaking earlier this week.

Today ended up being great. The job is a seven days a week job, and will keep me occupied, especially once the Australian school year summer hits mid December.

The power went out mid afternoon, which meant that many of the machines and lights necessary for the other workers weren't available and that meant we were off farm property by about 3pm. The five of us girls went to the local pool in Kojonup, and it was amazing! The pool is huge and was just the right temperature for a hot day like today - the temperature got up to about 34 degrees Celsius... And it's not even peak summer yet! Going to be a scorcher!

With my copious amounts of internetless and cell phoneless time in the evenings, a fellow backpacker here named Lisa has shown me how to crochet! I told my Dad before I left that I wanted to acquire a skill during my time here. Learning to knit or crochet is also on my bucket list, so there's another item I can check off! It's quite relaxing once you get into it. Next Friday when we go into town, I'm going to by my own hook and some yarn and I must say, I'm pretty excited about my new "hobby." It will give me something to occupy myself! Hopefully I can get pretty good at it and can actually create some nice things to bring home. Lisa's skills are beyond admirable. I only have two more weeks of her company before she heads to Perth and then home to Sweden for 10 weeks!

Life in the house is a hoot. There is constant laughter and friendship and its great. One of the best parts is that we all come from different countries and our levels of English vary significantly! So often, we are in stitches, laughing so hard trying to explain a particular term, or tell a story, or explain a punch line, or say something eight different ways so that it makes sense for someone who doesn't quite get it. It's pretty entertaining! Everyone is so different, yet so similar in the same breath.

On Friday we went shopping, and that was an experience in itself! We are allowed $50 per person, per week, to eat. We shop at the local IGA in town, and split the food between us. There are only four living in the house now, so we did our shop quite efficiently for the total of $200. Since it was my first shop with the backpackers, I took a back seat and watched the experts. It's down to quite a science, even involving a calculator! First, one round is done collecting things that are necessary and on the list: the most important items, like the meats, veggies, fruit, bread, milk, condiments... We use the calculator to give ourselves an idea of the total, then go ring it in and pay, and leave the cart by the cash registers... then go on a second round for more "fun" things like extra snacks, cereals, maybe some ice cream, and/or treats. Our shop on Friday was within cents of the limit, so I'd say we did pretty well!

Mornings, we are all up shortly after 7am. We eat our breakfast together in the kitchen, pack our lunches, and get ourselves organized. We drive to the farm, and go about our days, having lunch together around 12:30. Back to our respective jobs for the afternoon, then come back to the backpacker house around 3:30-4:00 depending. We generally have a snack then find ourselves stuck in the couch for a bit reading, crocheting, trying our best to send an email, or watching tv. We take turns making dinner/cleaning up, then chill again until bed time, which is generally lights out by 10:30, although sometimes you find yourself up a little later, typing out a blog, letting your mind unwind, hoping you'll have enough Internet capacity to post it the next morning, while swatting at Mosquitos! I've now killed four and another is taunting me behind my head, escaping my attempts to end his life.

Tonight the girls and I were talking about how it doesn't feel like we are heading towards the Christmas season. This will be the first year since my exchange in Argentina that my Christmas season will be hot... My second hot Christmas ever. I won't be diving into the "cold" Christmas spirit, with Christmas music, mint tea bags in my Tim Hortons hot chocolate, Christmas candles burning, and enjoying a cozy night on the couch wrapped under a blanket. Luckily, I'll have three little humans to keep the excitement of Christmas up, with their countdown! We are working on letters to send to Santa already. Obviously my idea. :)

So for now, I'm going to call it a night! Up again early tomorrow for another full day.

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE!!





No comments:

Post a Comment